It is finally summer! June 21stis the start of the summer season and this #BusinessTipTuesday we are celebrating the warm weather, outdoors, vacations, ice cream, and happier moods. During the summer many people make bucket lists of exciting things to complete, places to go, and things to see. Who’s to say you can’t make a bucket list for your business? Not us, in fact we encourage you to do so! Here are a few ideas to include on your business’s summer bucket list.
- Book a work-related visit to a destination: Is there somewhere in the United States or in the world you think could help benefit your business? Maybe there are trending ideas happening in a city or you just want to experience how a place’s culture interacts with your type of business. Another option is to visit a place where a conference or a trade show that specializes in products or services you offer is taking place. Regardless of the reason to travel, going somewhere to see what they are doing can give you a whole new perspective on your business and the way you do things. As well, you get to experience a new place and new opportunity. What can be better, work and play all wrapped in one trip!
- Schedule a guest speaker: A great way to inspire employees and even yourself is to have a successful and fresh perspective come into your business and share experiences. Search for someone in the subject area you wish to hear about and think will benefit your business. While the big name keynote speakers can charge an upwards of $5,000 and with that not being feasible for a small business don’t let that discourage you from having a speaker at your business. The option, to invite local business owners or contacts that you have met within in the community to speak at your business, is available and a great idea! And might even offer opportunities to partner up with each other in the future!
- Launch a new project: The summer months are a perfect time to launch a new project. Maybe there is something you have been wanting to do within your business for a while now but you have not had the chance, well the summer is the perfect time. It offers a few months in which you can host summer specials or events for a trial period to see if they work. If it goes well with customers and is profitable for your business then you can add them to your offerings for the rest of the year.
- Plan a picnic: With the warm weather arriving, what better way to enjoy it and the outdoors than having a picnic. Plan a picnic for your employees for all the work that they do. A simple picnic can show your appreciation and really boost employee morale. This also offers a time for you to get to know you employees better which provides for stronger work relationships. The more you show you care, the more employees are willing to make their work and your business a priority.
- Host an ice cream social:Ice cream is one of the biggest parts of summer. As a previous, ice cream shop employee, or as we called it a “Swirl Girl”, I know how many people make it a weekly tradition, if not more, to get ice cream during the summer months. Either take your employees out for ice cream at a local small business as an after work Friday sweet or grab the essentials and have a make your own sundae station at a work meeting. Trust me, your employees will love the treat!
Hopefully these ideas will help kick off your business for an exciting few months! If there is anything your business needs help with, remember to reach out to the University of Scranton Small Business Development Center, as we are happy to assist with whatever we can! Visit our website, www.scrantonsbdc.com, for more information.
The University of Scranton
Small Business Development Center
#summer #june21 #sbdc #nepa #scranton #business #marketing #smallbiz #success #firstdayofsummer #outdoors #vacation